Skip to main content

Revenge...Badlapur...A Hatke Story

A young warrior walks into the king's court. He is the champion of annual sports day, an accomplished swordsman as well as brilliant charioteer. King is highly impressed with him and hires the young man as his personal guard. In a manner of months, the young man earns kings' complete trust. King becomes addicted to his company and servitude. One day, king embarks on a hunting trip with only a select group of guards. The young man drives his chariot. Soon, in the middle of jungle, they get lost. King is tired and requests to rest. The charioteer dissembles the chariot, frees the steed and sits below a tree where king rests his head on the young man's lap and falls asleep. He wakes with a start in few moments. When the young charioteer asks what the matter was, king bursts into tears. The young man consoles him but the king continues to tremble and cry. Slowly, regaining some composure, king begins his tale.

As a young warrior, the old king was employed with another regent whom he had betrayed. The old king said that one night he stole into his master's chambers and murdered him. He killed every member of the old man's family but the young son who escaped with some loyal servants. The young warrior was crowned the new king and he never stopped searching for that boy who escaped. The king told the charioteer that he hasn't been able to sleep in years for fear that one day that young boy would come and kill him in his sleep. The king said that every moment I live in fear of that young boy and what he would do to me. The young man felt pity and revulsion at kings' state. Suddenly he pulled kings' hear and pushed him on to earth. The young charioteer sprung on king's chest, took out his sword and held it on king's neck.


The charioteer then said, "Oh, old King! I am that same boy whose parents you murdered and whose kingdom you stole. I have been waiting for an opportune moment to strike and revenge my family. Today, fate delivered the perfect time. I had taken out my dagger and was about to cut your throat while you slept. However, at the last moment another thought entered my mind. What would I do after killing you? You have been a mission for my existence. I dreamed, planned and train to kill you. I conspired and pretended to get close to you. I even served you to get alone with you so that I could murder you. I could've killed you earlier, I had my chances but none so perfect as today. But still I can't kill you. I cannot think of an existence without burning desire to avenge my family. If you die today, I have nothing to live for. No friends, relatives or love. I might as well die with you. This though held my hand today and now I see you weep like a child. You have been afraid your whole life and I have been burning with desire to revenge. We have both failed to live our lives. I remember my early days in school of a wise sage who used to say that Hatred cannot be satisfied by revenge. It is like trying to extinguish a fire with oil. Only forgiveness can really bring peace."

The young man let go of the old king and told that I am allowing you to live and forgive you because not doing so would mean I am no different than you. You killed my parents in greed and I may have killed you in revenge. One day, your family members might kill me for same reason. Thus, the cycle may never ends. I am ending this cycle today and let you go free. King profusely apologized and claimed he repented his actions. Coming back, king wed his daughter to the young man and offered him lordship of part of his kingdom.

The story ends with great moral. Reality, however, is much more complex.


It is in our nature to not let go. If someone says or does something bad to us, we want to return the favor with interest. This hatke film deals with the concept of revenge. I know tagging any movie hatke is a classic cliche but I still use it because it is one word that describes the film.


Director Sriram Raghavan has come up with another beauty after Johnny Gaddar. Film starts with a band robbery and accidental death of a mother and a child. Movie shows the effects of this incident on both parties, the victim as well as perpetrators. Varun Dhawan and Nawazuddin Siddique star as lead actors. This is the first film of Varun for me. He certainly has charismatic screen presence however in this movie he has nothing else to do but frown and look angry. Real star if Nawaz who yet again delivers a refreshing performance. Yes, he does seem a bit repetitive but still he is worth watching. Huma Qureshi is yet again sensuous and enticing while Vinay Pathak is for guest appearance. Film stands of three pillars: it's story, Sriram's direction and Nawaz. What I love most is it's satirical comedy, it may not tickle your ribs but definitely given you a smile. The movie can be categorized in crime thriller and while it definitely is not a family movie, you will get your money's worth watching it.

So, go ahead and enjoy the film. I am certain you will gain another perspective for story of the young warrior and king mentioned above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tara Rani ki Kahani

God narrates the importance of Karma in Bhagwad Geeta saying only thing one should focus on is ones Karma. The Fal or result of any karma is beyond your reach. Hindu religion puts great emphasis on karma and it's consequences. Naturally, many of our stories revolve around similar concept. No other story however is as complex as the one told to me during Mata Ki Chauki organized at my aunt's house in March 2015.  Let me present to you this long story in hopes that it will entertain and intrigue you. Tara Rani Ki Kahani King Sparsh was childless after years of marriage. He conducted a Tapa "religious meditation" to appease Devi Mata with hopes of gaining a boon. Mata, eventually, was pleased and blessed that Sparsh shall father two daughters. Soon, his wife was pregnant and in due course gave birth to a beautiful girl. Good omens followed this child. Entire kingdom witnessed divine bliss and prosperity. King's Guru proclaimed that this girl is very lucky as she car

Reading Grisham

Reading is a passion and a cultivated art. And, like any other craft, it demands lots of practice and persistence. I picked up this hobby probably from my “ Baba ” (paternal grandfather) while growing up. I remember he used to devour newspapers and novels. He was well versed with Hindi and Gujarati and possessed decent grasp of English. So, he read in all three. I remember reading a few of his novels back in my summer vacation as well. Thus began my affair with the written word. Coming from a Gujarati medium school of Ahmedabad, we were never encouraged to indulge extra-curricular reading and besides there was such an enormous pressure to read and re-read and again re-read the syllabus that only thing I read other than my school books were a few articles daily from the 'Gujarat Samachar'. During the college years, though, I was at liberty to explore books beyond prescribed course and exam syllabus. Not surprisingly, my favorite subject in college of English even thoug

A Wednesday - Movie Review

Mumbai meri Jaan and Aamir - we have recently had two Bollywood movies dealing with the subject of Terrorism. Mumbai meri Jaan depicts the after effects of a terror incident. Its about real life characters absorbing the shock of bomb blasts and then recovering. The journey of their losses and more importantly - their gains. Aamir is a fiction about a man who is stuck in the mayhem of the terrorists. An idealist one - however, with a stodgy end. A Wednesday is, more than anything, a suprise for all the cinema lovers in India. The movie revolves around the similar subject but still it's greatly removed from the latter two movies. The attempt of a synopsis of this movie might give a lot away. Even the narrator, retiring commissioner of Police Mr Prakash Rathore (Anupam Kher) stays away, very smartly, from telling you the end. The story revolves around a fateful Wednesday between 1 to 6 pm, when a man, Naseeruddin Shah (at his intimidating best), calls up the commissioner and tells him